Are you looking for a welcoming and friendly church that teaches the Bible authentically? Or, are you looking for answers about the meaning of life?

 

Well, regardless of your motivation for visiting our website, we’re pleased you’re here!

Who we are

We are a fairly ordinary bunch of people who share the most profound experience imaginable; that God has forgiven us of our wrong doings on the basis of Jesus' death on the cross, in our place, over two thousand years ago!

We are a vibrant, growing and welcoming church whose desire is to focus on the life changing message of Jesus from the Bible. We are made up of people who have found solid hope by connecting with God through Jesus.

Where we meet

Sunday morning at 9.00am at the cnr of Dowling and Chapman Streets, Dungog.

Church is children friendly with a play area at rear of church. Don't worry if your children giggle or make noise or babies cry. We love having children (and the noises they make) in Church.


front of church good small.jpg

new to church?

We know how it can feel walking into a church and having no idea what is happening. Why are people sitting then standing? Why do churches eat bread and drink juice from the tiniest cup?

Follow this link to discover a little bit about what happens at a church!

growth groups

If you want to find out more about Jesus, the bible and what is says about God, the small groups that meet during the week are a great place to ask questions.

Follow this link to discover a little bit about what happens at a growth groups!

Lima01.jpg

what is a christian?

People are called 'Christians' because they try to behave and speak like Christ Jesus. The word Christian means, 'follower of Christ'.

What questions do you have? Follow this link to find out more and who to talk to.

What we Believe

As an Evangelical church we believe:

  • The complete Bible is without error and has God’s authority.
  • No human person has lived up to God’s perfect standard. As a result all people are cut off from God and under his judgement.
  • God sent his Son, the Lord Jesus, to rescue us from judgement by dying on the cross so that we might be brought back to God.
  • Jesus did not stay dead but rose to life again as Lord and will one day come back to earth to judge all people.
  • Those who trust in the Lord Jesus are filled with God’s Holy Spirit and given eternal life.

If you would like to talk about what we believe, please contact us and we will be happy to meet and talk.

About St Andrew's Church

Presbyterian Church, Dungog by George Kelly of Dungog 1913

Presbyterian Church, Dungog by George Kelly of Dungog 1913

The present Presbyterian Church was built in 1904, replacing an earlier 1856 church. The current church is built In a Victorian free Gothic style and was designed by J W Scobie.

Originally two rival Presbyterian churches established themselves in Dungog, with both foundation stones laid in 1855.

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Dungog, December 2013

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Dungog, December 2013

Books about St Andrew's Church

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church: Centenary Celebrations, 1856-1956

Celebrating 100 years St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Dungog: 14-4-1905 to 14-4-2005

Photographer: Kerry, Charles H. (Charles Henry), 1858-1928 Date: Sept. 20 1932 Printed at the Photo Services Club in 1932 from original negatives taken by Charles Kerry 1890 1 photographic print : gelatin silver; 12.4 x 16.7 cm State Library of Victoria

Photographer: Kerry, Charles H. (Charles Henry), 1858-1928

Date: Sept. 20 1932

Printed at the Photo Services Club in 1932 from original negatives taken by Charles Kerry 1890

1 photographic print : gelatin silver; 12.4 x 16.7 cm

State Library of Victoria

John and Daphne Cummings 2005

Click here to borrow online

 

About the Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church of Australia is a part of the Christian Church throughout the world. The Church’s name comes from the Greek word presbuteros, which is the word for an elder or a mature Christian leader in the New Testament. The use of the name Presbyterian reflects the Church’s aim to be faithful to the Bible’s teaching on the Church, even in the 21st Century. In its wider use, the name Presbyterian has also come to include the distinctive doctrine, discipline, worship, laws and practice of the churches which returned to Biblical standards in Europe at the time known as the Reformation.

http://presbyterian.org.au

Welcome to St David's, Clarence Town.

We meet at 11am on Sunday.

 
St Davids Church, Clarence Town. Built 1863.

St Davids Church, Clarence Town. Built 1863.

For more information call Gil Oakley on 4996 4354

29-31 Marshall Street, Clarence Town

 
 

A bit of History

Reference: http://williamsvalleyhistory.org/religion/

The earliest Presbyterian Church – or ‘Scots Kirk’ – St Ann’s, was opened in 1842 at Paterson; the Rev William Ross servicing an area that at that time included Dungog and Clarence Town. By 1850, the Free Church or the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, following on from the so called ‘Disruption of 1843’ (when 450 Presbyterian Ministers in Scotland broke away from the Established Church of Scotland), was organising itself in Australia. As part of this, the newly licensed Rev Mr Sherriff was appointed in 1851 as minister of this Free Church, ‘to labour in Dungog, Stroud, Clarence Town and adjacent localities’, which included the Allyn River. The Rev Mr Sherriff took up residence at Clarence Town and, in 1855, the foundation ceremonies of two churches were held; one at Clarence Town, called Chalmers’ Church, and one at Dungog known as John Knox’s Church.

The John Knox Church at Dungog was one of two Presbyterian churches which had their foundation stones lain in that town in 1855. The second represented the Established Church of Scotland and was sited where the present St Andrew’s stands. With few ministers available by 1880, this long term difficulty saw the two church congregations in Dungog merge into the present Presbyterian Church, a merger which preceded that in Scotland by 20 years. It was perhaps as a result of this expanded single congregation that a new manse was purchased (1889) further south along Dowling St, with land adjoining this new manse intended as the site of a new (neutral?) church. However this project did not eventuate and instead the new church was built next to the old one in 1904.

In Paterson, St Ann’s remained the only Presbyterian Church but it seems that, rather than found a Free Church, those sympathetic to this side of the split moved – perhaps some to Barrington. Certainly by the 1870s, St Ann’s Church was being described as neglected, though sufficient support was found to restore it in 1878 thanks to the Rev Gibson of Dungog who also took charge of St Ann’s at this time. After going through further periods of neglect and revival, St Ann’s Church is now privately owned. In Clarence Town on the other hand, the Chalmers’ Free Church burned down at one point and was replaced, unusually, not with another brick Church, but with a wooden one – St David’s. This church, after having been moved from its original location, is the current Presbyterian Church of that town. The original manse at Clarence Town remains as a private home.

 

Click here to read the historical study of the St David's building

 

About Clarence Town, NSW

Clarence Town is a rural town about 55km north of Newcastle, 32km north of Maitland and 27km north of Raymond Terrace. It is a pleasant and tranquil township by the banks of the Williams River.  

The area was originally known as 'Erringhi' (Aboriginal for 'place of little black duck'), with the name being changed to Clarence Town in 1826 after the Duke of Clarence who in 1830 became King William IV.

The earliest economic activity in the Clarence Town area was cedar cutting, performed with convict labour from 1801. The village grew around the early river ports, which were used to transport timber from the area to Maitland, Newcastle and beyond. The village of Clarence Town was surveyed and proclaimed in 1823. Until the railway arrived in 1911, it was a busy and important river port and effectively the gateway to northern NSW.